Sunday, June 26, 2011

Entangled jewelry

I am stuck on buttons. Vintage button, big buttons, colorful buttons, and especially mother of pearl buttons continue to inspire my asymmetrical necklaces. The mother of pearl buttons are so luscious, both warm and cool, hard and soft. The challenge in my asymmetrical pieces is to physically balance the necklace, countering the heft of the large shell buttons. I've posted one revised piece; I had to center weight the necklace for it to hang well. Of course a test wearing of each piece is a responsibility (and joy) for this artist. As you can see the ideas and variations tease me from one necklace to the next. I have a quintet of button stack pendants underway as well as short length button braids pieces that work in delicate carved shell buttons. I'll post those soon.

If you have any incredible buttons, colorful buttons, or meaningful buttons that you want transformed into jewelry, please post a message. You know, that jar of buttons that your mom passed on, honor her resourcefulness, her memory, and the beauty in the everyday object.

button braid necklace with mother of pearl buttons, reworked.

button braid necklace with 2 mother of pearl buttons

button braid necklace with carved mother of pearl buttons

button braid set in blue, necklace & earrings


button braid necklace with 2 mother of pearl buttons and ladder of buttons

button braid with button stack, blue greens

No comments:

Post a Comment